Monday, September 19, 2016

Reading Notes: Khasi Folktales, Reading A

While I was reading “The Tiger and the Monkeys” I expected the tiger to catch onto the monkey’s tricks and end up killing them. However, he was so oblivious that he never suspected them to be lying to him. I  thought this was a nice twist, especially since it seems like tricksters end up getting into trouble. 

Another story I enjoyed was “The Legend of the Lei Tree” because of how creative and unique it was. Originally I thought that the tree actually did have special powers/was a God (just like the people trying to cut it down) but the tiger ended up being the one who was magical. I think it would have been cool if the tiger and tree were good friends and that the tiger was just trying to protect it. 

(The Lei Tree, source


How the Dog Came to Live with Man” also had some unique aspects to it. I especially thought it was cool how the “ktung rymbai” ended up leaving a scent on the other animal’s feet when the jar was broken, and as a result they could be tracked easier by the dog and hunter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment