Saturday, September 17, 2016

Feedback Focus

My favorite out of the focusing techniques is “reading out loud,” because it helps me to better picture the story in my head. I’ve actually used this technique for a long time now, when writing papers and also when I write the stories for this class, and I’ve found that it helps me notice errors and as a result my writing flows better. 

The copy-and-delete technique worked well too, but I still prefer reading out loud. However, I found that when I delete the paragraphs I’ve already read I am less distracted (from the previous paragraphs) and it helps me to better understand the story I’m reading. I do like the idea of combining these first two techniques, and I will probably try it in the future! 

For the last technique I started by reading the story (Zoology 1114) in my head, and after I was done with that I re-read it out loud. During my second read through I noticed more details in the story. 

If I were to rate these 3 techniques I would put reading out loud first, then the copy-and-delete, and finally the timer technique. Each method did change my experience while reading the stories, and I do think there are advantages to all of them. I could see myself reading future stories out loud while deleting paragraphs as I go, and also trying to focus on the reading for 10 minutes. 

Out of the stories I read I liked “What Makes the Lightening” the most, and it was interesting to this take on how thunder and lightening came about. 

(A girl reading a story, source

No comments:

Post a Comment