Monday, September 5, 2016

Reading Notes: Jewish Fairy Tales, Reading A

The Giant of the Flood” was interesting, and it was different than the Christian version of Noah’s Ark I had heard before. I didn’t know of Og the Giant, and it was cool that there was a phoenix and unicorn as well. I’m not sure if I would use this story, but it was nice to read another version of a popular story. 

I also liked “The Quarrel of the Cat and Dog” (of course). There seems to be many stories like this one, where people try to explain how cats and dogs became “enemies.” People seem to like this dynamic. The oath the dog and cat took in this story was something I hadn’t read before, and it could make for an interesting story this week. I’d probably add more details, or maybe show a modern-day dog or cat telling this legend to their children. Or maybe a dog and cat becoming friends, but feeling guilty about it because of the animosity between their species. Of course both dogs and cats have different versions of how the story went down. 

(The dog and the cat from the story, Source



From Shepherd-Boy to King” was another story I could see re-writing. Maybe instead of David I could use a different character/person, and show how they became king or queen after the lion incident. 

Bibliography: These stories are from Jewish Fairy Tales and Legends by Gertrude Landa

No comments:

Post a Comment