Saturday, August 27, 2016

Growth Mindset Thoughts

Before watching Carol Dweck’s videos I had actually never heard of the Growth Mindset before, but I like the concept quite a bit! Everyone grows and learns at different rates, and they shouldn’t be punished for it. 

I think I may be in the middle of the spectrum when it comes to the growth and fixed mindset. I don’t like the idea of “looking dumb” but on the other hand I do believe that effort can get you anywhere. 

 In school (especially high school) I felt that many of the classes I took were very easy. Most of them didn’t challenge me, which I liked at the time, and now I’m learning that that may not have been the best thing. In some aspects I like to be challenged, but on the other hand I also like when things aren’t too hard or time-consuming. I am just starting my major courses this year, and I am already facing more challenges than I have since coming to college. It’s a little intimidating, but in a way I actually feel like I’m learning something useful. And I’m excited for this year.

(I liked many of these quotes, but I've realized that I do need to take more risks. Source


 While I’ve been at OU I’ve learned that I am definitely a visual learner, and that if I am uncaring about a subject (math is an example) I typically don’t do as well. I also tend to panic whenever a subject isn’t making sense to me, and I worry about falling behind. So, I think that the term “yet” is very comforting because even though I might not understand something now, I will be able to in the future. 

I definitely want to learn more about growth mindset, and I want to try and apply it to my daily life and classes. 

As for personal goals, I just want to do well in my classes and also grow more confident as a person. I want to learn as much as I can and be well-rounded.


 I didn’t know what to expect for this class, but after this first orientation week I’ve found that I’ve actually enjoyed writing out my thoughts in blog form and reading and writing stories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment