Monday, October 10, 2016

Week 8 Reflections

I have really enjoyed this class so far! It’s a nice break from my other schoolwork, and I feel like my writing has improved because of it. The readings are great and without this class I would have never known that they existed. 

As for the reading notes I feel like I’ve done a good job. I usually leave myself notes on elements I liked in a story, or things I didn’t like and might want to change in a re-write. 

 I’m also pretty pleased with the stories I’ve written this semester. I was a little nervous in the beginning, since I’ve been self-conscious about my writing in the past, but I think writing stories, blog posts, and comments each week has helped me improve. I’ve also noticed that I tend to gravitate towards stories involving animals and and happy endings. If a story has an unfortunate end or sad element I will usually change it to something better. I want people to be happy when reading my stories.

(a bunch of animals, source

I really like my storybook topic as well. I’m happy to write about Medved and his adventures, and it has kept my interest each week. I was worried that I would end up choosing a topic I didn’t like and that I would end up stuck. However that hasn’t been a problem so far! I can’t wait to see my whole storybook completed by the end of the semester. 

One thing I want to improve on is my dialog. I use a lot of it in my stories and based on feedback I’ve gotten I need to work on the grammar side of it. I want it to seem as natural as possible and hopefully I’ll see improvement by the end. 

Some things I admire from other people’s stories are humor and unique twists. I also love when people make a story their own, where it doesn’t just feel like a longer version of the original story. 


Another thing I’ve noticed while reading some people’s stories is that they tend to repeat words in the same sentence. I try and avoid this myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment