Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Story: The Rose Tree

There once was a dog, who had no owner, that was often seen stealing various objects from the grocery store. Many people felt bad for the poor dog and handed her a few pieces of food every now and then. There were also those that  disliked the dog scavenging around and shooed her away. Regardless, she always came back. 

One day, a young woman was leaving leaving the store with groceries in hand when she noticed the dog cowering behind a car in the parking lot. This woman was new to town and had never seen the dog before. She looked into her paper bag and decided to give away some of her food. The woman took her loaf of bread, opened the package, and grabbed a couple of slices to offer to the dog. As she squatted to the ground she called out and waved the bead in its direction. The dog was wary at first but couldn’t resist the free food. It slowly inched closer to the woman until it was close enough to snatch the bread slices and run off. The woman smiled knowing that she had helped the starving dog. 

The next day, the woman came back to the grocery store and looked for the dog after she had bought her items. Surely enough the dog was sitting in the parking lot. The woman reached in her bag again and pulled out a few pieces of pre-cooked chicken for the dog. This time the dog was less timid and ran to the lady, grabbed the chicken, and ran behind the store. The woman watched carefully and noticed that the dog had gone that same way the day before. She also realized that it never ate the food right away. 

The woman went to the store for a third day, and bought more bread and chicken for the dog. This time when she gave the dog some food she followed after it. The dog ran behind the small grocery store, past the dumpsters and into a group of bushes beyond. When the woman finally caught up she heard whimpering and realized that the dog had puppies that she was feeding. The dog noticed the woman and instantly became defensive, but the woman handed her more food and she calmed down. The puppies then ran towards her and showered her in a flurry of puppy kisses. The woman laughed and handed them each a a few pieces of bread. She then decided to take them all home so that she could take care of them properly. The mother dog was thin from giving all her food to the puppies. 

One at home the dogs settled in nicely. They especially liked the warmth of the fireplace and soft couch. After the dogs were nursed back to health she found homes for all the puppies and gave each new owner a candle. She wanted each puppy to be connected, even though they were going to live separated from one another. The woman decided to keep the mother dog and one of the puppies for herself. From that moment on the dogs never went hungry again. 

(source

Author’s note: I used the “Rose-Tree” for this weeks story post. In the original there was a dog who kept stealing the candles that a girl bought from the grocery store day after day. The dog wasn’t a significant character, and it was never explained why it was doing this. I decided to write about this dog and the possible reasons it might have for hanging around a grocery store. I decided that it was a mother dog that was only trying to feed her puppies. I took a lot of creative liberties for this story, but I did try to keep the candle element. Instead of the dog stealing candles I decided to have those be given  to each new owner of the puppies. 


5 comments:

  1. Hey Taylor, I loved your story! After reading your author's note, I am glad you took the original story and made it your own. I have always hated the unexplained parts of a story. I have this annoying tendency to want to know why characters do what they do. I am glad you gave the dog a bigger part. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you found a story with a hole in it and filled it in with your own background story. I love stories about animals because they are so sweet and innocent (honestly I don't think we deserve dogs lol). It was cool that the woman wanted all the puppies to remain connected somehow so she gave all the new owners a candle. This also did a good job of tying back in with the original story. Great job writing this new story and weaving it into the fabric of the original story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading this a lot. I'm a dog lover, and would probably have given the poor thing the shirt off of my back if it had any use for it. I'm glad that the puppies had such a dedicated mother to care for them. I'm also really glad that everything ended happily.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never read the story of Rose-Tree before. I think that it was a great idea to write about the dog that had been stealing candles since it was such a lesser character. I like your reasoning in why the dog was always looking for food. If I were in that woman's place I would have done the same thing. You did a great job with this story and I look forward to reading more of your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love dogs so this story was incredibly touching. I hope that we would all help starving dogs that we might come across. I hadn’t read the original Rose Tree story, but based of your notes i believe you kept the major points of the original story in tact while putting your own spin on it. Great job, I’m going to go love on my dog now!

    ReplyDelete