Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Story: The Cinder-Maid

In the middle of a castle courtyard sat a group of royal soldiers on their lunch break. They had been eating quietly when one of them finally broke the silence. 

“The Prince. He’s not too bright, is he?” one man stated. 

This made several of them laugh. 

“Oh, definitely not! I wouldn’t trust him to run this kingdom, that’s for sure!” chuckled another. 

A bearded soldier took a bite out of an apple before adding, “At the ball a couple of nights ago he had some of us pour honey on the stairs to stop this mystery girl from running away. I don’t know what he expected to happen. She just ran threw it without any trouble! He’s completely clueless, man.”

One soldier seemed sympathetic as they spoke. “Yeah, and since the honey didn’t work he threw another ball and had us put tar on the stairs instead. I guess it turned out a little better. One of the girl’s shoes got stuck and left behind!” 

“Apparently he’s planning on having every girl in the kingdom try on that shoe so that he can find this girl. He doesn’t seem to realize that some people have the same sized feet,” groaned a soldier with bags under their eyes. 

This had the whole table roaring with laughter. Just then the herald stumbled out from the castle and towards the soldiers. 

“I have news from the king! The Prince has traveled the entire kingdom and found someone who fits the shoe. Or should I say several people…”

“No surprise there!” yelled on of the soldiers. 

The herald didn’t seem to think this was funny. “He invited them all to the castle and they’re here now. Hopefully he’ll recognize this woman’s face.” As he finished speaking he left.

The soldiers only rolled their eyes and continued to gossip. After a little while the herald came back with more news. 

“So, the Prince has found the woman he’s been looking for. Her name is Cinder. There were multiple woman with the same sized feet, and a couple of them actually cut off part of their heel and toe so that their feet would fit.”

The soldiers looked at each other and shrugged. Stuff like this seemed to happen all the time in this kingdom. 


(the shoe, source


Author’s note: I used the “Cinder-Maid” for this week’s story. I kept the events from the original mostly the same, but I put everything in the perspective of the soldiers. I always thought it was funny that the Prince didn’t consider that some people have the same sized feet, so I decided to put that in my version. 

Bibliography: "The Cinder-Maid" by Joseph Jacobs

7 comments:

  1. I love reading stories that take on another perspective. It is always interesting to see how other people view an event. It is like adding another layer to the story and going a little deeper because most everyone has heard the story of Cinderella. I like how you used a lot of dialog in this story. It really brings it to life! Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taylor, I love the story of Cinderella and you did it justice by telling if from this point of view. I would have reacted with the same level of skepticism as the soldiers did. I always thought the idea of having women try on a shoe to see if he can find the mystery girl as somewhat silly. I also agree that the honey was not likely to work but the tar seemed a bit excessive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know what you story was going to be about at first, because you picked such a small part of the story and expanded on it by filling it with funny, interesting characters! I loved the dialogue and it totally seems like a discussion that would take place between a bunch of the guard at lunch or something. The point about the shoe fitting multiple women was also great because I thought the exact same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Taylor, great story. I have always loved the story of Cinderella. She is still to this day my favorite princess. Saying that, I am glad you wrote this story in a more realistic point of view. Sometimes we get caught up in a story we don't realize the insane lengths the characters go through to get what they want.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Taylor!

    This was a really fun twist on Cinderella. I like how you completely introduced it from a completely different perspective. If we are being completely honest, I didn’t even know it was Cinderella at the beginning! But that is meant as a compliment, you did such an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI Taylor,

    I am glad I am once again able to read a story from you this week as I have really enjoyed your writing over this semester. This story was great in particular! Partly because of familiarity of the characters but also because of the fun twist you put on such a classic. Bringing reality to fairytales is usually the opposite of what people would advise you to do but Im glad you stuck with it because it made for a great result!

    Belle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Taylor, I enjoyed this story a lot. The plot line was very believable from a soldiers point of view and it was easy for the reader to follow. I think this was great twist on a classic story that we all know and love.

    ReplyDelete